Under the Supreme Court’s Weingarten decision, the following rules apply to investigatory interviews:
- The employee can request union representation before or at any time during the interview.
- When an employee asks for representation, the employer must choose from among three options:
- Grant the request and delay questioning until the union representative arrives;
- Deny the request and end the interview immediately; or
- Give the employee a choice of: (a) having the interview without representation or (b) ending the interview.
- If the employer denies the request for union representation and continues the meeting, the employee can refuse to answer questions.
Hostile Work Environment
Every Employee has the right to work in a Hostile Free Environment. The APWU put out a booklet outlining your rights. You can download the Improving Your Workplace Environment Booklet and find out what you can do if you are having hostile workplace issues.
If you are still having issues and need them address, contact your local Steward or Officer.